Pienaar adventures

Tom and Anna's updates

Thursday, March 30, 2006

I am you, you are me..........

Hello dear all and sundry,
Tom here, in an internet cafe with brilliant load music on, having a larf and all that. Yesterday I went to Kampala Childrens Centre fort the first time - it was amazing - the vision, values and people there were incredible. The houses where the kids live (8-12 kids with a mother and an auntie) were in really good condition, homely and cummunal. I went on a mini adventure with the boys from house number 2 (aged between 4ish and 9), and we ended up knocking unripe mangoes off a tree for them to eat - the mangoes were super bitter, but they really liked them. Oh the goats, the turkeys, chicken and cows - I had a little slice of paradise!
I am having a rest day today, as my back andf neck are still very painful - made worse because I could not say no to loads of beautiful children wanting to be picked up and played with!!!! I will rest tomorrow as well, beacuse the journey to the childrens centre is over ALOT of potholes which jolts my back, but then on saturday we are going to Mount Elgon on the Kenya border really close to whyere my Dad lived as a kid! I am really excited(apparantly the road is really good because George Bush came in for a conference a few years ago and the government resurfaced the road!) and I am looking forward to seeing SIPI falls, which are nearby aswell.
This trip is perfect timing for everything I am thinking through RE the way we identify ourselves and others, and the construction of national stereotypes through hegemonic narrative of the western press, literature and history. When I have more time I will elaborate further, but it is all really interesting stuff (honest!).
Anna is really enjoyiing her job and left before I was up this morning... she gets a lift in and back, which is much quicker than the two routes she would otherwise have to take. We have just found out that she is being given 4-5 days off in two weeks time which means we can try and arrange a couple of days in Rwanda - apparantly the culture, atmosphere and geography are compltely different to here.
Anyway, I will update this in the next few days...
Love you lots

Tom

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

smashing post tom....love hearing all the news and imagining you having fun with all the gorgeous kids. much love to you and anna...looking forward to hearinng more stories...
love you guys
Cx

30 March, 2006 20:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes,...mangoes and goat meat I know what you mean Tom.
(I'm currently still in the Caribbean on our way to Grenada,..so those are almost staple foods here!)
Glad to hear that you and Anna will get some time off to explore for fun.
keep the wonderful updates coming.

31 March, 2006 04:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home