Best temp job ever...
Hey ya'll! Wow.
Well I started work at Oxfam on Wednesday, and have so far totally loved being in this environment. I'm doing a lot of research on the conflict in the north, but also attending all the advocacy and civil society meetings that are relevant to the conflict and peace building. Yesterday we had a meeting with representatives of all the other major NGOs working in the IDP camps in the north (CARE, Save the Children etc) which was to prepare for our meeting with a top UN guy who's visiting Uganda at the moment. Then we went to the UNHCR (UN agency for refugees) where they were presenting the new approach that the UN is piloting in order to improve co-ordination in the areas of emergency and disaster response, which was interesting as UNHCR have only just started working with IDPs, whereas all the NGOs present have been for years. Then this morning we had a breakfast meeting with a guy from USAID, and this afternoon we're meeting the UN's Emergency Relief Co-ordinator.
So things are pretty busy.
And it's so exciting to be doing and seeing the things in action that i've studied: donor/civil society co-ordination, legitimacy in high-level advocacy coming from experience on the ground, seeing issues of governance and democracy in government, and also just the insight into the day to day workings of an INGO. Amazing!
I'm so grateful for this opportunity, and to be finally doing something I really love.
I'm also enjoying the hustle and bustle of the city here, the heat and the red dust!
better get back to work.
loads of love! anna
Well I started work at Oxfam on Wednesday, and have so far totally loved being in this environment. I'm doing a lot of research on the conflict in the north, but also attending all the advocacy and civil society meetings that are relevant to the conflict and peace building. Yesterday we had a meeting with representatives of all the other major NGOs working in the IDP camps in the north (CARE, Save the Children etc) which was to prepare for our meeting with a top UN guy who's visiting Uganda at the moment. Then we went to the UNHCR (UN agency for refugees) where they were presenting the new approach that the UN is piloting in order to improve co-ordination in the areas of emergency and disaster response, which was interesting as UNHCR have only just started working with IDPs, whereas all the NGOs present have been for years. Then this morning we had a breakfast meeting with a guy from USAID, and this afternoon we're meeting the UN's Emergency Relief Co-ordinator.
So things are pretty busy.
And it's so exciting to be doing and seeing the things in action that i've studied: donor/civil society co-ordination, legitimacy in high-level advocacy coming from experience on the ground, seeing issues of governance and democracy in government, and also just the insight into the day to day workings of an INGO. Amazing!
I'm so grateful for this opportunity, and to be finally doing something I really love.
I'm also enjoying the hustle and bustle of the city here, the heat and the red dust!
better get back to work.
loads of love! anna

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home